Men's Tennis Knocks Off DePaul For Third Straight Win
ATLANTA, Ga. – The No. 74-ranked College of Charleston men’s tennis team took down the DePaul Blue Demons 4-3 today in the first leg of the team’s two-match weekend road trip.
In doubles, the senior-freshman Chilean duo of Crescente Lesser and Rodrigo Encinas emerged triumphant on Court 2 with an 8-4 decision over Joshua Schramm and Sten Leusink of the Blue Demons. Next, the freshman-junior combination of Zack Lewis (Richmond, Ky.) and Charlie Ghriskey (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) also managed an 8-2 victory on Court 3 to secure the doubles point for CofC.
In singles play, the bottom half of the draw was very solid for the Cougars as Lewis and junior Alon Faiman (Ramat Hasharon, Israel) both pulled off straight-set wins on Courts 4 and 6. Then, in the last match of the day, Ghriskey had to battle through three sets with Kyle Johnson of the Blue Demons before he came away with a 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-1 victory on Court 5 and sealed the win for CofC.
“Today was another tough match,” CofC Head Coach Jay Bruner said. “Charlie played great to clinch the match after our doubles energy was high. DePaul was a good team that pushed us to compete for four hours and fight for the moment.”
The Cougars will stay in Atlanta for the night but they will have to be up early tomorrow morning to take on Georgia State at 8 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
DePaul vs. College of Charleston
April 5, 2014
College of Charleston 4, DePaul 3
1. Filip Dzanko (DePaul) def. Brice Allanic (CofC) 6-3, 7-5
2. Sten Leusink (DePaul) def. Rodrigo Encinas (CofC) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
3. David Vieyra (DePaul) def. Crescente Lesser (CofC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Zack Lewis (CofC) def. Joshua Schramm (DePaul) 6-2, 6-4
5. Charlie Ghriskey (CofC) def. Kyle Johnson (DePaul) 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-1
6. Alon Faiman (CofC) def. Paul John (DePaul) 6-2, 7-5
1. Filip Dzanko-David Vieyra (DePaul) def. Brice Allanic-Alon Faiman (CofC) 8-3
2. Crescente Lesser-Rodrigo Encinas (CofC) def. Joshua Schramm-Sten Leusink (DePaul) 8-4
3. Zack Lewis-Charlie Ghriskey (CofC) def. Kyle Johnson-Paul John (DePaul) 8-2
College of Charleston: 14-5