Cougars Keep Rolling With Victory Over Georgia State
ATLANTA, Ga. – The No. 74-ranked College of Charleston men’s tennis team won its fourth match in a row this morning 4-1 over Georgia State at the Atlanta Athletic Club.
In doubles play, the Chilean tandem of Rodrigo Encinas and Crescente Lesser got the ball rolling when they quickly dispatched of Jannis Koeke and Eric Baum of the Panthers 8-0 on Court 2. Then, the senior-junior duo of Brice Allanic (Colombes, France) and Alon Faiman (Ramat Hasharon, Israel) clinched the doubles point for the College when they took care of Robert Schulze and Sofiane Chevallier 8-2 on Court 1.
In singles, sophomore Zack Lewis (Lexington, Ky.) kept up his winning ways when he took care of Chevallier in straight sets via a 6-1, 6-3 score on Court 3. Lesser followed quickly behind when he downed Baum 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 4 slot. Then, to clinch the match, Allanic blew by Koeke 7-6, 6-1 on Court 1.
“We had to adjust to playing indoors today and really played well from start to finish,” CofC Head Coach Jay Bruner said. “The team worked well this weekend and is still improving. Brice was huge today clinching in doubles and singles while Rodrigo and Crescente continued their streak in doubles. I feel like we are getting ready to peak at the right time.”
The Cougars will now have a week of classes before they head back on the road for their final match of the season versus Davidson at the Covington Tennis Courts on April 13 at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia State vs. College of Charleston
April 6, 2014 at Atlanta Athletic Club
College of Charleston 4, Georgia State 1
1. Brice Allanic (CofC) def. Jannis Koeke (GSU) 7-6, 6-1
2. Robert Schulze (GSU) def. Rodrigo Encinas (CofC) 7-6, 6-0
3. Zack Lewis (CofC) def. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Crescente Lesser (CofC) def. Eric Baum (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Felipe Jaworski (GSU) vs. Charlie Ghriskey (CofC), 5-5, unfinished
6. Alon Faiman (CofC) vs. Valentin Horvat (GSu) no result
1. Brice Allanic-Alon Faiman (CofC) def. Robert Schulze-Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) 8-2
2. Rodrigo Encinas-Crescente Lesser (CofC) def. Jannie Koeke-Eric Baum (GSU) 8-0
3. Valentin Horvat-Felipe Jaworski (GSU) vs. Zack Lewis-Charlie Ghriskey (CofC) 6-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,4,2,1)