WBB: Gulf Coast Showcase Field Finalized
ESTERO, Fla. – NCAA Tournament teams Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech have joined the College of Charleston, UConn, Arizona State, Minnesota and Green Bay, to round out one of the strongest women’s college basketball fields ever assembled, Gulf Coast Showcase organizers announced Saturday.
The event – to be held in Ft. Myers’ at the Germain Arena, Nov. 28-30, 2014 – will be headlined by defending national champion Connecticut. Vandy and Georgia Tech join Arizona State and UConn as participants in the 2014 NCAA Tournament field.
“I am extremely excited to bring my team to Fort Myers next year to compete in the 2014 Gulf Coast Showcase,” said Geno Auriemma, Connecticut’s Hall of Fame coach. “Southwest Florida is a beautiful part of the country and the field, which includes four teams that qualified for the 2014 NCAA Tournament, is going to be exceptionally competitive. We are looking forward to what promises to be a great all-around tournament experience.”
Here’s a snapshot of each squad:
• Arizona State (Pac-12 Conference) – Coach Charli Turner Thorne has won more than 300 games at ASU with nine NCAA Tournament appearances and two Elite Eights
• College of Charleston (Colonial Athletic Association) – Coach Natasha Adair led CofC to postseason play in back-to-back seasons for the first time in the programs division-1 history. The Cougars reached the semi-finals of both the CAA Championships and the Women’s Basketball Invitational in 2014.
• Connecticut (American Athletic Conference) – Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma has led the Huskies to eight national championships and 14 Final Fours and UConn is the No. 1 overall seed in the 2014 NCAA Tournament
• Georgia Tech (Atlantic Coast Conference) – Coach MaChelle Joseph has led the Yellow Jackets to new heights over the past decade and has the highest winning percentage (overall and conference play) in school history
• Green Bay (Horizon League) – Over the past six seasons (2008-2013), Green Bay has the third-highest winning percentage in NCAA Division I with a 175-25 mark, trailing only Connecticut and Stanford
• Minnesota (Big Ten Conference) – The Golden Gophers finished 22-13 this past season and advanced to the quarterfinals of the WNIT
• Vanderbilt (Southeastern Conference) – In her 12 seasons at Vandy, Coach Melanie Balcomb has led the Commodores to 12 NCAA Tournament berths and three SEC Tournament titles
• Villanova (Big East Conference) – The Wildcats are led by Coach Harry Perretta, one of the nation’s most accomplished coaches with 661 careers wins over the past 36 years
All-session ticket packages for the 2014 Gulf Coast Showcase will go on-sale on Friday, April 18th at www.germainarena.com. Single session tickets will go on-sale to the public this summer once the tournament brackets are released. Preferred hotel accommodations for fans will be released later this month. For complete information, visit www.gulfcoastshowcase.com or follow on Twitter at @GCShowcase.
NCAA Tournament Teams
Four women’s teams from the inaugural 2013 Gulf Coast Showcase advanced to the NCAA Tournament with three of those teams winning their respective conference tournament. Middle Tennessee, champions of the inaugural Gulf Coast Showcase, won the Conference USA Tournament and earned a No. 8 seed. James Madison won the Colonial Athletic Association crown to earn an 11-seed while Wright State took home the Horizon League title and was slotted as a 14-seed. NC State earned a bid as an at-large team and opened play as a 5-seed.
CONNECTING WITH THE COUGARS
You can keep up with all things College of Charleston Women’s Basketball by following us on Twitter and Vine @CofCWBasketball, as well as Instagram @CofCWBB. You can also like us on Facebook