"I'm really impressed with the complete match we played today," head coach Jay Bruner said. "The guys got started off well in doubles and carried it right through the match. We competed in every position and it was a great way to start our run of conference matches."
The Cougars (8-4, 2-0 SoCon) remain one of three unbeaten teams in conference play this season, joining Elon and UNC Greensboro. They became the first team to sweep Furman on its home courts since Wake Forest in 2000.
CofC jumped out to a 1-0 lead with wins at the first and second spots in doubles. Senior Lukas Koncilia (Tyrol, Austria) and junior Kyle Parker (Richmond, Va.) registered an 8-5 win as the top-seeded pair, moving to 7-4 on the season. Senior Tom Delme (Hamoir, Belgium) and sophomore Stephen Hardy (Fairfax, Va.) snapped a four-match losing streak with an easy 8-2 win at the No. 2 spot.
The Cougars narrowly missed sweeping the doubles matches as senior Mickael Boyer (Meudon, France) and junior Mickael Trintignac (Le Cannet, France) were edged 7-5 in a tiebreak against Furman's Alex Christ and Joel Cook for an 8-7 loss. It was just the pair's third loss of the year.
CofC continued to pound the Paladins (4-13, 1-2 SoCon) with a complete sweep in singles. Koncilia defeated Sawyer Duncan in three sets for the second straight year, winning his match 7-5, 2-6, 6-1 at the top spot. Parker, playing as the fourth seed, also emerged victorious in the third set after narrowly losing the first 6-7 and rebounding for 6-1, 6-1 wins. Hardy stretched his perfect record in singles (4-0) with a 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 triumph at the No. 6 spot.
Trintignac managed to avoid a third set by winning the tiebreak in the first set to defeat Andrew Mellow, who was named SoCon Player of the Week two weeks ago, 7-6(5), 6-2. He has now won six straight at the No. 2 spot and boasts a 10-2 record on the season. Delme and Boyer defeated their opponents in straight sets at the third and fifth spots, respectively.
The Cougars return home to Patriots Point to put their undefeated record to the test on Saturday with a 10 a.m. match against SoCon opponent Wofford.
1. Lukas Koncilia/Kyle Parker (CofC) def. Sawyer Duncan/Andrew Mellow (FUR) 8-5
2. Tom Delme/Stephen Hardy (CofC) def. Andrei Chevtsov/Tyler Droll (FUR) 8-2
3. Alex Christ/Joel Cook (FUR) def. Mickael Trintignac/Mickael Boyer (CofC) 8-7(5)
1. Lukas Koncilia (CofC) def. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
2. Mickael Trintignac (CofC) def. Andrew Mellow (FUR) 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Tom Delme (CofC) def. Andrei Chvetsov (FUR) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kyle Parker (CofC) def. Alex Christ (FUR) 6-7, 6-1, 6-1
5. Mickael Boyer (CofC) def. Tyler Droll (FUR) 6-3, 6-4
6. Stephen Hardy (CofC) def. Joel Cook (FUR) 7-5, 3-6, 6-4