"We played really well today against a UNC Greensboro team that was at the top of the conference," head coach Jay Bruner said. "We had to deal with windy weather and some other challenges but are finding a good rhythm in both singles and doubles."
The Cougars (13-5, 7-1 SoCon) won two of three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead. Junior Tom Delme (Hamoir, Belgium) and sophomore Stephen Hardy (Fairfax, Va.) dominated their opposition at the No. 2 spot, taking an 8-1 victory and moving to 11-6 on the season as a pair. Sophomore Billy Kenny (Pawley's Island, S.C.) and junior Mickael Trintignac (Le Cannet, France) clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win at the No. 3 spot. The duo are 3-1 since pairing up in early April.
The wind picked up as the teams moved into singles competition. Trintignac was the first to defeat his opponent, winning his fourth straight and 15th match of the season at the No. 2 spot. Trintignac won the tiebreak in the first set before finishing off Timion Meijs 7-6(2), 6-2. Senior Mickael Boyer (Meudon, France) finished in similar fashion at the No. 4 spot with a 7-6(4), 6-3 victory over opponent Ahmet Sarioglu.
Senior Lukas Koncilia (Tyrol, Austria) dismantled top-seeded Orcun Seyrek in straight sets (6-4, 6-4) to clinch the match for the Cougars and hand the Spartans their second conference loss of the season. Delme, sophomore Kyle Parker (Richmond, Va.) and Hardy all stretched their matches to three sets, coming from behind after losing the first set. Parker and Hardy earned wins in 10-point tiebreaks, while Delme won his third set 6-3. Delme and Hardy continue to be undefeated in conference play.
"I was really happy for Koncilia and Boyer, who responded against two good opponents on their final home weekend," Bruner said. "We got off to a good start and the guys were really focused for a good match."
UNC Greensboro (14-5, 7-2 SoCon) falls to second in the Southern Conference standings. College of Charleston and Elon will attempt to secure sole control of the conference lead tomorrow when the Cougars face Davidson at home at 1 p.m. and Elon takes on Georgia Southern at the same time.
1. Timion Meijs/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Lukas Koncilia/Kyle Parker (CofC) 8-6
2. Tom Delme/Stephen Hardy (CofC) def. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) 8-1
3. Billy Kenny/Mickael Trintignac (CofC) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 8-5
1. Lukas Koncilia (CofC) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mickael Trintignac (CofC) def. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 7-6 (2), 6-2
3. Tom Delme (CofC) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Mickael Boyer (CofC) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Kyle Parker (CofC) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 5-7, 7-5, 10-5
6. Stephen Hardy (CofC) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 5-7, 6-3, 10-5