"It was good way to start the tournament," head coach Jay Bruner said. "Davidson won a good match yesterday and they had some confidence going into today but I thought we responded well to bunch of different challenges and close matches in doubles and singles."
CofC (16-5) entered singles competition with a 1-0 lead after wins at the top two spots in doubles. Junior Tom Delme (Hamoir, Belgium) extended the lead with a swift 6-0, 6-3 win over Arie Hefter at the No. 3 spot. Second-seeded Mickael Trintignac (Le Cannet, France) followed suit with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Chris Mark to move to 18-3 on the season.
Senior Mickael Boyer (Meudon, France) clinched the match for the Cougars at the No. 4 spot, winning the tiebreak in the second set to avoid a three-set match. The
In doubles action, Davidson (7-18) took the first match with an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 spot. Senior Lukas Koncilia (Tyrol, Austria) and sophomore Kyle Parker (Richmond, Va.) tied things up with an 8-3 win over top-seeded Joe Schafer and Gee. Delme and sophomore Stephen Hardy (Fairfax, Va.) clinched the point for the Cougars with their seventh straight victory at the No. 2 spot. The Southern Conference All-Conference Second Team duo earned an 8-6 decision over Walker Lyons and Ethan Kallick.
"We had a bunch of different pieces today and I think everyone contributed to a point, whether it was winning their singles or doubles match. It was a great team effort and it's nice to be here for another day."
The Cougars advance to the semifinals where they meet Furman for a 2 p.m. match on Friday at The Champion's Club in Chattanooga. The Paladins downed UNC Greensboro 4-1 earlier this afternoon. In the last meeting between the two teams, College of Charleston became the first conference team to sweep Furman on its home court in Paladin program history. Additionally, the Cougars were the first team to sweep the Paladins at home since Wake Forest in 2000.
Elon and Samford will compete in the other semifinal, also at 2 p.m.
Live Stats are available on the championships page of the Southern Conference website, www.soconsports.com.
1. Lukas Koncilia/Kyle Parker (CofC) def. Joe Schafer/Calum Gee (DAV) 8-3
2. Tom Delme/Stephen Hardy (CofC) def. Walker Lyons/Ethan Kallick (DAV) 8-6
3. Kevin Moore/Chris Mark (DAV) def. Billy Kenny/Mickael Trintignac (CofC) 8-2
1. Lukas Koncilia (CofC) vs. Joe Schafer (DAV) 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 - unfinished
2. Mickael Trintignac (CofC) def. Chris Mark (DAV) 6-2, 6-2
3. Tom Delme (CofC) def. Arie Hefter (DAV) 6-0, 6-3
4. Mickael Boyer (CofC) def. Calum Gee (DAV) 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Kyle Parker (CofC) vs. Walker Lyons (DAV) 6-2, 3-6, 6-6 (6-1) - unfinished
6. Stephen Hardy (CofC) vs. Ethan Kallick (DAV) 3-6, 6-1, 4-3 - unfinished