CHARLESTON, S.C. – Redshirt-freshman Daniel Aldrich (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.) has been selected to compete, along with seven other talented sluggers, for the 2011 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby crown. The second annual event will take place live at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha on Saturday, July 2, at 7:30 p.m. CDT. CBS will televise the event nationwide on Sunday, July 3, at 2 p.m. EDT.
Aldrich was recently named to the 2011 American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA)/Rawlings All-America Third Team. The honor marks the fourth time this season Aldrich has landed All-American accolades and he was also named to the ABCA All-Atlantic Region First Team.
Aldrich was named the 2011 Southern Conference Freshman of the Year by the Southern Conference Sports Media Association and the league’s coaches, as well as being named to the All-SoCon First Team. The right-fielder led all Division I freshmen in home runs (22), RBIs (73), slugging percentage (.739) and total bases (164). He had 25 multi-hit games on the season and had a team-best 17-game hitting streak in February and March.
Aldrich has been previously honored with All-American selections by the NCBWA, Louisville Slugger and Baseball America. He was chosen the NCBWA National Freshman of the Year, as a Freshman All-American First Team selection and a Second Team All-American pick. Aldrich was named Collegiate Baseball’s National Freshman of the Year and was a semifinalist for the 2011 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award, awarded to the nation’s top amateur baseball player. Aldrich has garnered Louisville Slugger Second Team All-American and First Team Freshman All-American honors, as well as All-America Third Team distinction from Baseball America.
Aldrich's selection marks the second straight season that a member of the College of Charleston's baseball program will take part in the Derby. Last season, former Cougar Matt Leeds participated in the inaugural event at the historic Rosenblatt Stadium.
Joining Aldrich in Omaha will be:
- Victor Roache, a sophomore from Georgia Southern, who finished with 30 home runs and 84 RBIs
- Andrew Rash, a redshirt sophomore from Virginia Tech University who finished with 18 home runs
- Doug Shribman, first baseman from Bucknell University with 16 home runs in 2011
- Dylan Pratt, a junior outfielder who hit 16 home runs for East Tennessee State University, the alma mater of 2010 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby champion Paul Hoilman
- Joey DeMichele, a sophomore designated hitter and Baseball America Third Team All-American from Arizona State University who recorded 9 homers in 2011.
- Connor Harrell, a sophomore outfielder from Vanderbilt University who hit 9 home runs in 2011, including two at the College World Series.
One more player will join the 2011 field by the end of the week.
The Derby will also feature three Major League Baseball legends, Joe Carter and Baseball Hall of Fame member Paul Molitor who will serve as honorary hitting coaches for Derby participants. In addition, All-Star player Frank Thomas will provide commentary for CBS during the competition.