"We continue to perform well in tough conditions," head coach Angelo Anastopoulo said. "We've become accomplished windy day players."
The win puts the Cougars (14-7, 6-0 SoCon) in a tie for first place in the Southern Conference with UNC Greensboro, whose match against Davidson was postponed due to inclement weather.
Senior Emma Hayman (Wanganui, New Zealand) and sophomore Irene Viana (Paris, France) started CofC out on the right foot with an 8-0 rout over Paola Garrido and Caitlin Kitchen at the top doubles spot. Sophomore Christin Newman (Greensboro, N.C.) and freshman Jamie Harrell (Charleston, S.C.) clinched the doubles point with an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 spot. Second-seeded senior Kinsey Casey (Alpharetta, Ga.) and junior Katie Lee (Brisbane, Australia) added a third doubles win for good measure with their own 8-4 victory.
The Cougars won five of six singles matches in straight sets. Freshman Kelly Kambourelis (Melbourne, Fla.) was the first to earn a victory in singles for CofC with a 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot. Junior Caroline Newman won her seventh straight match at the No. 3 spot with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Natalie Maffett. Her sister, Christin, picked up her second straight win as the Cougars' top seed (6-4, 6-3) to improve her record to 12-7 at the top spot.
After dropping the first set 7-5, Hayman battled back at the No. 2 spot to force a third-set tiebreak against Melanie Rolle. Hayman won the tiebreak, 13-11, to complete the sweep for the Cougars and drop the Eagles to 8-9 on the season and 2-6 in the conference.
"We will take tomorrow off and try to regroup from the last three matches, which were tough," Anastopoulo said. "We have an important Southern Conference weekend ahead with two very good teams in Furman and UNC Greensboro."
The Cougars return home for back-to-back matches at Patriots Point, beginning with Furman on Saturday at 10:30 a.m.
1. Emma Hayman/Irene Viana (CofC) def. Paola Garrido/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) 8-0
2. Kinsey Casey/Katie Lee (CofC) def. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 8-4
3. Christin Newman/Jamie Harrell (CofC) def. Ashley Hungerford/Melanie Rolle (GSU) 8-2
1. Christin Newman (CofC) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Emma Hayman (CofC) def. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 5-7, 6-3, 13-11
3. Caroline Newman (CofC) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Katie Lee (CofC) def. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Kelly Kambourelis (CofC) def. Allison Beeler (GSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Keely Mulligan (CofC) def. Alexandra Langmo (GSU) 6-3, 6-1